It appears that for many people this lockdown has unleashed their inner Mary Berry and that includes me. This week let me transport you directly to Italy with my version of a Torta Caprese Al Limone (an almond and lemon cake).
I first experienced this cake whilst visiting the Amalfi Coast and its delicate citrusy flavour and light texture had me hooked immediately. Usual recipes include the addition of cream and butter but this version is light, airy and might I dare even say “healthier”.
5 medium eggs
2 tbsp of fresh lemon zest
100g of granulated Sugar
150g Ground Almonds
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp white vinegar
Pinch of Salt
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Pre-heat oven to 175 degrees Celsius and pre-grease a 9-10” cake tin.
2. Add ground almonds, baking powder and ground cardamom to one bowl and whisk together.
3. Add egg yolks, 50g of the granulated sugar and lemon zest to another bowl and beat until smooth.
4. Add the egg yolk mixture into the dry mixture and beat with a wooden spoon into a thick paste.
5. Add some lemon juice for extra flavour.
6. In another bowl whisk the egg whites until bubbles appear. Add the salt and vinegar and continue to whisk.
7. Once the mixture continues to rise, add the rest of the sugar a small amount at a time.
8. Once the mixture is silky smooth and forms stiff peeks the eggs whites are ready.
9. Add a third of the egg white mixture to the egg yolk mixture and slowly fold in with a wooden spoon.
10. Continue adding the egg white mixture one spoonful at a time.
11. Don’t forget to enjoy some Prosecco whilst preparing the cake 🙂
12. Pour the mixture into the pre-greased tin and place in the oven for thirty minutes until golden brown.
13. Dust with icing sugar or get creative and add your very own toppings.
This is such a simple and easy recipe that even I can do it! Sit back with a strong espresso, a slice of this citrusy cake and feel like your under the wonderful Italian sunshine. Head to my IGTV to check out my full baking video and keep your eyes peeled for more Italian inspired posts throughout the week.
2 thoughts on “Almond & Lemon cake”
This is one of my favourite cakes and will be giving your recipe a go Scott! Love the photos and I see it goes very well with Fizz as well as an Espresso! Perfect!
Thank you! It goes great with a lot of things! Try some melted dark chocolate on the top, you will love it! Transports you right back to Italy